Origin of patriotismpatriot + -ism
A display of patriotism.
Patriotism is love and support of your country.
An example of patriotism is waving the flag proudly on your home.
Love of and devotion to one's country.
From patriot +"Ž -ism
- His patriotism is fervent, but narrow and exclusive.
- Patriotism is a maggot in their heads.
- Indeed, the patriotism and loyalty of the new ministers were above suspicion.
- The slight reproach to which the virtue of patriotism is commonly liable, the noble are most likely to incur.
- Mahomet appealed at once to religion and patriotism, or rather created a feeling for both.