- A family home inherited from your father is an example of patrimony.
- A grant of money and property given to a church is an example of patrimony.
Patrimony is something inherited from your father or your ancestor, or something that has been endowed to a church.
- property inherited from one's father or ancestors
- property endowed to an institution, as a church
- anything inherited, as a characteristic or tendency
Origin of patrimonyMiddle English patrimoigne from Old French patrimoine from Classical Latin patrimonium from pater, father + -monium, -mony
- a. An inheritance from a father or paternal ancestor.b. An inheritance or legacy; heritage.
- An endowment or estate belonging to an institution, especially a church.
Origin of patrimonyMiddle English from Old French patrimoine from Latin patrimōnium from pater patr- father ; see pəter- in Indo-European roots.