- a feminine name
- Gloria in excelsis Deo
- Gloria Patri
- the music for either of these
- a halo or its representation in art
- a glossy, closely woven cloth of cotton, rayon, silk and wool, etc.
Origin of GloriaL, glory
- a. A Latin doxology beginning with the words Gloria Patri.b. A Latin doxology that is the second item of the Ordinary of the Roman Catholic Mass and begins with the words Gloria in excelsis Deo.
- A musical setting for either of these doxologies.
- gloria A halo or nimbus.
Origin of GloriaMiddle English, from Late Latin Glōria, from Latin glōria, glory.
- A female given name. Popular during the first half of the 20th century.
Latin gloria (“glory”), first used as a name in 19th century literature.