Nationalism is defined as being devoted to your country, or the feeling that nations should act independently instead of working together.noun
An example of nationalism is the Made in the USA campaign.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- devotion to one's nation; patriotism
- excessive, narrow, or jingoist patriotism; chauvinism
- the doctrine that national interest, security, etc. are more important than international considerations
- the desire for or advocacy of national independence
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Devotion to the interests or culture of one's nation.
- The belief that nations will benefit from acting independently rather than collectively, emphasizing national rather than international goals.
- Aspirations for national independence in a country under foreign domination.
- naˈtion·al·ist adjective & n.
- naˌtion·al·isˈtic adjective
- naˌtion·al·isˈti·cal·ly adverb
nationalism - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also allegiance.Anglo-Saxonism a belief in the innate superiority of the “Anglo-Saxon race.” chauvinism a zealous and belligerent patriotism. —chauvinist, n. —chauvinistic, adj. civism 1. the attitudes and behavior of a good citizen. 2. Obsolete, devotion to the cause of the French Revolution. ethnomania a fanaticism favoring ethnic or racial autonomy. — ethnomaniac, n., adj. Gaelicism the characteristic of being Gaelic. jingoism extreme or eccentric national loyalty that is hostile to the interests of any other nation. —jingo, jingoist, n. —jingoistic, adj. Junkerism the militaristic, authoritarian spirit or character of the East Prussian aristocracy. —Junker, n., adj. matriotism devotion to one’s mother country. nationalism 1. the spirit or aspirations of a country. 2. a devotion to the interests of one’s own country. 3. a desire for national advancement. 4. the policy of asserting the interest of one’s own nation, as separate from the interest of another nation and the common interest of all nations. —nationalist, n., adj. —nationalistic, adj. nativism the custom or policy of favoring nativeborn citizens over immigrants, as in the awarding of government jobs. See also philosophy. —nativist, n. —nativistic, adj. overpatriotism excessive patriotism. Pan-Teutonism the idea that all Teutonic peoples should be joined in a union. —Pan-Teutonist, n. —Pan-Teutonic, adj. patriotism a devoted love, support, and defense of one’s country; national loyalty. —patriot, n. —patriotic, adj. superpatriotism excessive patriotism. —superpatriot, n. —superpatriotic, adj. ultranationalism excessive or extreme nationalism. —ultranationalist, n. —ultranationalist ie, adj.