- Provincialism is the state of having concern for purely local matters, or having a narrow outlook.
An example of provincialism is being concerned with only one's town, as opposed to surrounding communities or other countries as well.
provincialism definition by Webster's New World
- the condition or fact of being provincial
- narrowness of outlook; exclusive concern with local matters
- a provincial custom, characteristic, etc.
- a word, phrase, or pronunciation peculiar to a certain location or dialect
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- provincialist noun
provincialism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A regional word, phrase, pronunciation, or usage.
- The condition of being provincial; lack of sophistication or perspective. Also called provinciality.
- The act or an instance of placing the interests of one's province before one's nation.