- The definition of irascible is quick-tempered.
An example of irascible is a man who becomes extremely mad at even the slightest of mistakes.
irascible definition by Webster's New World
- easily angered; quick-tempered
- showing or resulting from a quick temper or a fit of anger: an irascible reply
Origin: Middle English irascibel ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin irascibilis ; from Classical Latin irasci: see irate
irascible definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Prone to outbursts of temper; easily angered.
- Characterized by or resulting from anger.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin īrāscibilis, from Latin īrāscī, to be angry, from īra, anger; see eis- in Indo-European roots.
- i·rasˌci·bilˈi·ty, i·rasˈci·ble·ness noun
- i·rasˈci·bly adverb