- The definition of irascible is quick-tempered.
An example of irascible is a man who becomes extremely mad at even the slightest of mistakes.
- easily angered; quick-tempered
- showing or resulting from a quick temper or a fit of anger: an irascible reply
Origin of irascibleMiddle English irascibel ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin irascibilis ; from Classical Latin irasci: see irate
- Prone to outbursts of temper; easily angered.
- Characterized by or resulting from anger.
Origin of irascibleMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin īrāscibilis, from Latin īrāscī, to be angry, from īra, anger; see eis- in Indo-European roots.
- i·ras′ci·bil′i·ty, i·ras′ci·ble·ness
(comparative more irascible, superlative most irascible)