- The definition of happy is someone or something that is feeling great pleasure or joy.
- An example of happy is someone who wins the lottery.
- An example of happy is a baby laughing.
A happy group of people.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- favored by circumstances; lucky; fortunate
- having, showing, or causing a feeling of great pleasure, contentment, joy, etc.; joyous; glad; pleased
- exactly appropriate to the occasion; suitable and clever; apt; felicitous: a happy suggestion
- intoxicated, or irresponsibly quick to act, as if intoxicated: sometimes used in hyphenated compounds
Origin: Middle English happi from hap: see hap
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective hap·pi·er, hap·pi·est
- Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
- Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
- Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.
- Cheerful; willing: happy to help.
- a. Characterized by a spontaneous or obsessive inclination to use something. Often used in combination: trigger-happy.b. Enthusiastic about or involved with to a disproportionate degree. Often used in combination: money-happy; clothes-happy.
Origin: Middle English, from hap, luck; see hap.
- hapˈpi·ly adverb
- hapˈpi·ness noun