- without hope: a hopeless prisoner
- allowing no hope; causing despair: a hopeless situation
- impossible to solve, cure, deal with, teach, etc.
- An example of hopeless is a person about to commit suicide.
- An example of hopeless is someone trying to get a salary increase from an employer that's going out of business.
The definition of hopeless is a desperate or very sad person or thing, or something that is impossible to solve.
- a. Having no hope; despairing: lost hikers who felt hopeless.b. Characterized by despair: hopeless resignation.
- a. Having no possibility of being solved or dealt with; impossible: a hopeless problem; a hopeless disease.b. Having no hope or chance of changing or improving: a hopeless romantic; a hopeless procrastinator.
(comparative more hopeless, superlative most hopeless)
- Nouns to which "hopeless" is often applied: case, situation, romantic, love, cause, person, despair, life, undertaking, alcoholic, man, endeavor, place, pain, agony, project.
hope + -less
- I feel so hopeless when I can't help her.
- This is a hopeless assembly.
- The lifeless, hopeless look in her gaze was too genuine for even a woman as powerful as she was to manipulate.
- But the dissensions of the native Franks and the crusaders made it hopeless to continue the struggle; and Richard was alarmed by the news which reached him of John's intrigues in England and Normandy.
- The attendant made a hopeless gesture.