- The definition of hopeless is a desperate or very sad person or thing, or something that is impossible to solve.
- An example of hopeless is a person about to commit suicide.
- An example of hopeless is someone trying to get a salary increase from an employer that's going out of business.
- without hope: a hopeless prisoner
- allowing no hope; causing despair: a hopeless situation
- impossible to solve, cure, deal with, teach, etc.
- a. Having no hope; despairing: lost hikers who felt hopeless.b. Characterized by despair: hopeless resignation.
- a. Having no possibility of being solved or dealt with; impossible: a hopeless problem; a hopeless disease.b. Having no hope or chance of changing or improving: a hopeless romantic; a hopeless procrastinator.
(comparative more hopeless, superlative most hopeless)
- Nouns to which "hopeless" is often applied: case, situation, romantic, love, cause, person, despair, life, undertaking, alcoholic, man, endeavor, place, pain, agony, project.
hope + -less