- The definition of hopeless is a desperate or very sad person or thing, or something that is impossible to solve.
- An example of hopeless is a person about to commit suicide.
- An example of hopeless is someone trying to get a salary increase from an employer that's going out of business.
hopeless definition by Webster's New World
- without hope: a hopeless prisoner
- allowing no hope; causing despair: a hopeless situation
- impossible to solve, cure, deal with, teach, etc.
hopeless definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having no hope; despairing. See Synonyms at despondent.
- Offering no hope; bleak.
- Having no possibility of solution; impossible.
- hopeˈless·ness noun
- hopeˈless·ly adverb