- Amused is defined as something or someone who is watching or hearing something that makes them happy.
Someone who is laughing out loud is an example of someone who is amused.
- The definition of amused means you made someone cheerful or joyful.
A clown that made children squeal with delight is an example of a clown that amused children.
- simple past tense and past participle of amuse
- While waiting for the bus, I amused myself by performing a mime interpretation of the Gettysburg Address.
(comparative more amused, superlative most amused)
- Pleasurably entertained.
- The children chased one another in a circle in front of their amused parents.
- Displaying amusement.
- (usually with a complement) Enjoying humor aspects (of something).
- He was amused to note the disarray of his opponents.
- He was very amused by the lyrics.
- She was amused with their antics.
- The entertainers parodied his speech. He was not amused.
Variant of amuse
transitive verbamused, amusing
- to keep pleasantly or enjoyably occupied or interested; entertain: we amused ourselves with games
- to make laugh, smile, etc. by being comical or humorous
- Obsolete to engage the attention of so as to deceive; delude; bemuse
Origin of amuseFrench amuser ; from à, at + Old French muser, to stare fixedly, muse