- The definition of felicitous is something that is suited to a particular occasion or something enjoys the benefits of good fortune.
- When someone finds the perfect thing to say, it is an example of a phrase that would be described as felicitous.
- When you have a happy and pleasant outing, it could be described as a felicitous outing.
- used or expressed in a way suitable to the occasion; aptly chosen; appropriate; apt
- having the knack of appropriate and pleasing expression
Origin of felicitous; from felicity + -ous
- Admirably suited; apt: a felicitous comparison.
- Exhibiting an agreeably appropriate manner or style: a felicitous writer.
- Marked by happiness or good fortune: a felicitous life.
(comparative more felicitous, superlative most felicitous)
- fitting; happening at the right time.
- Working out well.
- (linguistics, of a sentence or utterance) Semantically and pragmatically coherent, fitting in the context.
- This sentence is grammatical; it is just not felicitous.