- An example of felicity is a state of great happiness.
- An example of felicity is when your thoughts are expressed appropriately and elegantly.
Felicity is defined as a state of feeling great happiness, or the ability to appropriately express your emotions or thoughts.
- happiness; bliss
- anything producing happiness; good fortune
- a quality or knack of appropriate and pleasing expression in writing, speaking, painting, etc.
- an apt expression or thought
Origin of felicityMiddle English felicite ; from Old French felicité ; from Classical Latin felicitas, happiness ; from felix (gen. felicis), happy, origin, originally , fertile, fruitful, nourishing: for Indo-European base see female
- a. Great happiness; bliss.b. An instance of great happiness.
- A cause or source of happiness.
- a. An appropriate and pleasing manner or style: felicity of expression.b. An instance of appropriate and pleasing manner or style.
- Archaic Good fortune.
Origin of felicityMiddle English felicite, from Old French felicite, from Latin f&emacron;l&imacron;citas, from f&emacron;l&imacron;x, f&emacron;l&imacron;c-, fortunate; see dh&emacron;(i)- in Indo-European roots.
- (happiness): infelicity
- A female given name.
From the noun felicity, and also the English form of Latin Felicitas, a name borne by early martyrs.