- the quality or condition of being infelicitous
- pl. -·ties something infelicitous; unsuitable or inapt remark, action, etc.
Origin of infelicityClassical Latin infelicitas from infelix, unfortunate: see in- and felicity
- The quality or condition of being infelicitous.
- Something inappropriate or unpleasing.
Origin of infelicityMiddle English infelicite from Latin īnfēlīcitās from īnfēlīx īnfēlīc- unhappy in- not ; see in- 1. fēlīx happy ; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural infelicities)
- (uncountable) The condition of being infelicitous
- (countable) Something that is infelicitous or inappropriate
- (condition): felicity