- the quality or condition of being infelicitous
- pl. -·ties something infelicitous; unsuitable or inapt remark, action, etc.
Origin of infelicityClassical Latin infelicitas ; from infelix, unfortunate: see in- and amp; felicity
- The quality or condition of being infelicitous.
- Something inappropriate or unpleasing.
Origin of infelicityMiddle English infelicite, from Latin &imacron;nf&emacron;l&imacron;citas, from &imacron;nf&emacron;l&imacron;x, &imacron;nf&emacron;l&imacron;c-, unhappy : in-, not; see in–1 + f&emacron;l&imacron;x, happy; see dh&emacron;(i)- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural infelicities)
- (uncountable) The condition of being infelicitous
- (countable) Something that is infelicitous or inappropriate
- (condition): felicity