- The definition of glad is feeling pleased, happy, satisfied or grateful.
When you are pleased it is not raining, this is an example of a situation where you are glad it is not raining.
Glad to be together.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- feeling or characterized by pleasure or joy; happy; pleased
- causing pleasure or joy; making happy
- very willing: I'm glad to help
- bright or beautiful
Origin: Middle English from Old English glæd, akin to German glatt, smooth (the origin, originally Germanic sense) from Indo-European an unverified form ghlādh-, shining, smooth from base an unverified form ĝhel-, to shine from source gleam, gold
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective glad·der, glad·dest
- a. Experiencing or exhibiting joy and pleasure.b. Appreciative: was glad of the fire's warmth.
- Providing joy and pleasure: a glad occasion.
- Very willing; pleased: glad to help.
- Bright and cheerful: a glad May morning.
- Archaic Having a naturally cheerful disposition.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English glǽd; see ghel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- gladˈly adverb
- gladˈness noun