- Very hot afternoon sun in a desert is an example of something that would be described as torrid.
- A sexually-charged love affair is an example of something that would be described as torrid.
- dried by or subjected to intense heat, esp. of the sun; scorched; parched; arid
- so hot as to be parching or oppressive; scorching
- highly passionate, ardent, zealous, etc.
Origin of torridClassical Latin torridus ; from torrere, to dry: see thirst
- a. Parched with the heat of the sun; intensely hot: a torrid afternoon.b. Scorching; burning: the torrid noonday sun.
- Passionate; ardent: a torrid love scene.
- Hurried; rapid: set a torrid pace; torrid economic growth.
Origin of torridLatin torridus, from torr&emacron;re, to parch; see ters- in Indo-European roots.
- tor·rid′i·ty, tor′rid·ness
(comparative more torrid, superlative most torrid)
From Latin torridus, from torrere (“parch, scorch").