- An example of sultry is a 100 degree day with 90 percent humidity.
- An example of sultry is a very attractive man.
The definition of sultry is very hot and moist or creating passion.
- oppressively hot and moist; close; sweltering
- extremely hot; fiery
- hot or inflamed, as with passion or lust
- suggesting or expressing smoldering passion
Origin of sultryvariant, variety of sweltry
- a. Very humid and hot: sultry July weather.b. Extremely hot; torrid: the sultry sands of the desert.
- a. Expressing sexual desire: a sultry look.b. Arousing sexual desire: a sultry dance.
Origin of sultryFrom obsolete sulter to swelter possibly alteration of swelter
(comparative sultrier, superlative sultriest)
Probably from the verb swelter.