- The definition of voluptuous is something expensive, luxurious or sensual that excites your senses.
An example of voluptuous is a bed with satin sheets.
- The definition of voluptuous is a full, shapely woman's figure.
An example of voluptuous was Marilyn Monroe’s body.
- full of, producing, or characterized by sensual delights and pleasures; sensual
- fond of or directed toward luxury, elegance, and the pleasures of the senses
- suggesting or expressing sensual pleasure or gratification
- sexually attractive because of a full, shapely figure
- arising from sensual gratification
Origin of voluptuousMiddle English from Classical Latin voluptuosus, full of pleasure from voluptas, pleasure from Indo-European base an unverified form wel-, to wish, choose from source will
- Relating to, providing, or arising from sensual pleasure: “a rich, voluptuous cascade of notes from a Spanish guitar” ( Tony Perrottet ) See Synonyms at sensuous.
- Having a curvaceous figure. Used of a woman or a woman's body.
- Devoted to or indulging in sensual pleasures: “the most beautiful woman of that voluptuous Court” ( Winston S. Churchill )
Origin of voluptuousMiddle English from Old French voluptueux from Latin voluptuōsus full of pleasure from voluptās pleasure ; see wel-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more voluptuous, superlative most voluptuous)
- Suggestive of or characterized by full, generous, pleasurable sensation.
- The plentiful blankets and the voluptuous pillows of the bed called out to my tired body, tantalizing me with their luxury.
- (of a woman) Curvaceous, sexy, full-figured.
- Her flowing raven hair contrasted her creamy white complexion, her amber eyes like those of a cat, the low neckline of her bodice emphasised her plump, voluptuous figure.
From Latin voluptuosus (“delightful"), from voluptÄs (“pleasure, delight"), from volup (“with pleasure").