- The definition of voluptuous is a full, shapely woman's figure.
An example of voluptuous was Marilyn Monroe’s body.
- The definition of voluptuous is something expensive, luxurious or sensual that excites your senses.
An example of voluptuous is a bed with satin sheets.
- full of, producing, or characterized by sensual delights and pleasures; sensual
- fond of or directed toward luxury, elegance, and the pleasures of the senses
- suggesting or expressing sensual pleasure or gratification
- sexually attractive because of a full, shapely figure
- arising from sensual gratification
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin voluptuosus, full of pleasure from voluptas, pleasure from Indo-European base an unverified form wel-, to wish, choose from source will
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Giving, characterized by, or suggesting ample, unrestrained pleasure to the senses: voluptuous sculptural forms; a voluptuous ripe fruit; a full, voluptuous figure.
- a. Devoted to or indulging in sensual pleasures.b. Directed toward or anticipating sensual pleasure: voluptuous thoughts.c. Arising from or contributing to the satisfaction of sensuous or sensual desires. See Synonyms at sensuous.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French voluptueux, from Latin voluptuōsus, full of pleasure, from voluptās, pleasure; see wel-1 in Indo-European roots.
- vo·lupˈtu·ous·ly adverb
- vo·lupˈtu·ous·ness noun