- The definition of abstemious is someone who abstains or is moderate, often specifically in their consumption of food and beverage.
An person who suffers from anorexia is an example of someone who is abstemious.
abstemious definition by Webster's New World
- moderate, esp. in eating and drinking; temperate
- characterized by abstinence
Origin: Classical Latin abstemius, abstaining from alcoholic liquor ; from ab(s)-, from plush root of temetum, strong drink
abstemious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Eating and drinking in moderation.
- Characterized by abstinence or moderation: The hermit led an abstemious way of life.
Origin: From Latin abstēmius : abs-, ab-, away; see ab-1 + *tēmum, liquor, variant of tēmētum.
- ab·steˈmi·ous·ly adverb
- ab·steˈmi·ous·ness noun