The definition of buxom is a woman with large breasts.adjective
An example of buxom is Marilyn Monroe.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- flexible; pliant
- Archaic healthy, comely, plump, jolly, etc.
- having a shapely, full-bosomed figure: said of a woman or girl
Origin: ME, humble, obedient < base of bouen, bow + -som, -some
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Healthily plump and ample of figure: “A generation ago, fat babies were considered healthy and buxom actresses were popular, but society has since come to worship thinness” (Robert A. Hamilton).b. Full-bosomed.
- Archaic Lively, vivacious, and gay.
- Obsolete Obedient; yielding; pliant.
Origin: Middle English, obedient, from Old English *būhsum, from būgan, to bend, submit; see bheug- in Indo-European roots.
- buxˈom·ly adverb
- buxˈom·ness noun