The definition of buxom is a woman with large breasts.
An example of buxom is Marilyn Monroe.
- flexible; pliant
- Archaic healthy, comely, plump, jolly, etc.
- having a full-bosomed figure: said of a woman
Origin of buxomME, humble, obedient from base of bouen, bow + -som, -some
- a. Healthily plump and ample of figure: “A generation ago, fat babies were considered healthy and buxom actresses were popular, but society has since come to worship thinness” ( Robert A. Hamilton )b. Full-bosomed.
- Archaic Lively; vivacious.
- Obsolete Obedient; yielding; pliant.
Origin of buxomMiddle English obedient from Old English būhsum from būgan to bend, submit ; see bheug- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative buxomer or more buxom, superlative buxomest or most buxom)