- The definition of ardent is a deep level of enthusiasm or passion.
An example of someone who is ardent is a person who volunteers for a political campaign to support his candidate.
ardent definition by Webster's New World
- warm or intense in feeling; passionate: ardent love
- intensely enthusiastic or devoted; zealous: an ardent disciple
- glowing; radiant
- burning; aflame
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ardant ; from Classical Latin ardens, present participle of ardere, to burn; akin to aridus, arid
ardent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Expressing or characterized by warmth of feeling; passionate: an ardent lover.
- Displaying or characterized by strong enthusiasm or devotion; fervent: “an impassioned age, so ardent and serious in its pursuit of art” (Walter Pater).
- a. Burning; fiery.b. Glowing; shining: ardent eyes.
Origin: Middle English ardaunt, from Old French ardant, from Latin ārdēns, ārdent-, present participle of ārdēre, to burn; see as- in Indo-European roots.
- arˈden·cy noun
- arˈdent·ly adverb
ardent - Computer Definition
(Ardent Software, Inc., Westboro, MA) A database vendor formed in 1998 as the merger of VMARK Software, Unidata and O2 Technology. Its products included the UniVerse and UniData databases and DataStage data warehouse utility. In 2000, Ardent was acquired by Informix, which later sold its database business to IBM and renamed itself Ascential Software Corporation, concentrating on asset management. See UniVerse, UniData, DataStage and VMARK.