- The definition of a youth is a young person who has not yet reached adulthood and refers to the time period before you become an adult.
- An example of a youth is a person who is only 14 years old.
- An example of youth is the time period before you turn 18 and become an adult.
A group of youths
youth definition by Webster's New World
- the state or quality of being young, esp. of being vigorous and lively, or immature, impetuous, etc.
- the period of life coming between childhood and maturity; adolescence
- an early stage of growth or existence
- young people collectively
- a young person; esp., a young man
Origin: Middle English youthe ; from Old English geoguthe ; from an unverified form jugunthi ; from Germanic an unverified form juwunthi (with g for w based on an unverified form dugunthi-, goodness, valor) akin to Dutch jeugd: for Indo-European base see young
youth definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. youths youths
- a. The condition or quality of being young.b. An early period of development or existence: a nation in its youth.
- The time of life between childhood and maturity.
- a. A young person, especially a young male in late adolescence.b. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Young people considered as a group.
- Geology The first stage in the erosion cycle.
Origin: Middle English youthe, from Old English geoguth; see yeu- in Indo-European roots.
, Isle of In Spanish Is·la de la Ju·ven·tud Formerly Isle of Pines