A group of youths
- The definition of a youth is a young person who has not yet reached adulthood and refers to the time period before you become an adult.
- An example of a youth is a person who is only 14 years old.
- An example of youth is the time period before you turn 18 and become an adult.
- the state or quality of being young, esp. of being vigorous and lively, or immature, impetuous, etc.
- the period of life coming between childhood and maturity; adolescence
- an early stage of growth or existence
- young people collectively
- a young person; esp., a young man
Origin of youthMiddle English youthe ; from Old English geoguthe ; from an unverified form jugunthi ; from Germanic an unverified form juwunthi (with g for w based on an unverified form dugunthi-, goodness, valor) akin to Dutch jeugd: for Indo-European base see young
Cuban isle south of W Cuba: 849 sq mi (2,199 sq km)
nounpl. youths youths
- a. The condition or quality of being young: Travel while you still have your youth.b. The time of life between childhood and maturity: He was rebellious in his youth.c. An early period of development or existence: a nation in its youth.
- a. A young person, especially a young male in late adolescence.b. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) Young people considered as a group.
- Geology The first stage in the erosion cycle.
Origin of youthMiddle English youthe, from Old English geoguth; see yeu- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural youths)
- (uncountable) The quality or state of being young.
- Her youth and beauty is what attracted him to her.
- (uncountable) The part of life following childhood; the period of existence preceding maturity or age; the whole early part of life, from childhood, or, sometimes, from infancy, to manhood.
- Make the most of your youth, it will not last forever.
- I made many mistakes in my youth, but learned from them all.
- (countable) A young person.
- There were a group of youths hanging around the parking lot, reading fashion magazines and listening to music.
- (countable) A young man.
- (uncountable) (used in plural form) Young persons, collectively.