- the state or quality of being young, esp. of being vigorous and lively, or immature, impetuous, etc.
- the period of life coming between childhood and maturity; adolescence
- an early stage of growth or existence
- young people collectively
- a young person; esp., a young man
Origin of youthMiddle English youthe from Old English geoguthe from an unverified form jugunthi from Germanic an unverified form juwunthi (with g for w based on an unverified form dugunthi-, goodness, valor) akin to Dutch jeugd: for Indo-European base see young