- The definition of consider is to decide, keep in mind, or believe as true.
- An example of consider is thinking about two possible options.
- An example of consider is believing a person committed a crime after seeing evidence.
consider definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic to look at carefully; examine
- to think about in order to understand or decide; ponder: to consider a problem
- to keep in mind; take into account: her health is good if you consider her age
- to be thoughtful of (others, their feelings, etc.); show consideration for
- to regard as; think to be: I consider him an expert
- to believe or conclude after thought: we consider that the defendant is not guilty
Origin: Middle English consideren ; from Old French considerer ; from Classical Latin considerare, to look at closely, observe ; from com-, with plush sidus, a star: see sidereal
consider definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb con·sid·ered, con·sid·er·ing, con·sid·ers verb, transitive
- To think carefully about.
- To think or deem to be; regard as. See Usage Note at as1.
- To form an opinion about; judge: considers waste to be criminal.
- To take into account; bear in mind: Her success is not surprising if you consider her excellent training.
- To show consideration for: failed to consider the feelings of others.
- To esteem; regard.
- To look at thoughtfully.
Origin: Middle English consideren, from Old French, from Latin cōnsīderāre : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + sīdus, sīder-, star.
- con·sidˈer·er noun