- The definition of a tray is a flat platform for carrying items.
An example of a tray is the plastic platform used by students to carry their lunch plate and drink in the cafeteria.
tray definition by Webster's New World
- a flat receptacle made of wood, metal, glass, plastic, etc., often with slightly raised edges, used for holding or carrying articles
- a tray with its contents: a tray of food
- a shallow, boxlike, removable compartment of a trunk, cabinet, etc.
Origin: Middle English treie ; from Old English treg, trig, wooden board, akin to treow, tree
tray definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A shallow flat receptacle with a raised edge or rim, used for carrying, holding, or displaying articles.
- A shallow flat receptacle with its contents: took the patient a dinner tray.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English trēg; see deru- in Indo-European roots.