- a person or thing that coasts
- a ship that carries cargo or passengers from port to port along a coast
- ☆ a sled or wagon for coasting
< obs. sense of coast, vi., “to pass close to or around” a small tray, usually on wheels, as for passing a wine decanter around a table
- a small tray, mat, or disk placed under a glass or bottle to protect a table or other surface
See coaster in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- One that coasts, as:
a. One who acts in an aimless manner.
b. A sled or toboggan.
c. One who rides a sled or toboggan.
- Nautical A vessel engaged in coastal trade: “dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smokestack” (John Masefield).
- A roller coaster.
a. A small mat or plate placed under a vessel to protect a tabletop or other surface beneath.
b. A small tray, often on wheels, for passing something, such as a wine decanter, around a table.
- A resident of a coastal region.
Learn more about coaster