The definition of a plateau is high, flat ground or a situation were something has stalled that was progressing forward previously.verb
An example of plateau is when a project stalls and can't move forward because decisions cannot be made.
A plateau is high, flat ground or a situation were something has stalled that was progressing forward previously.noun
- An example of a plateau is a high, flat field.
- An example of a plateau is a situation where no progress is being made on a project while you await funding approval.
- an elevated tract of more or less level land; tableland; mesa
- a period, level, etc. of relative stability, or relatively little change, as can be shown by a flat extent on a graph, etc.; specif., a period in which an individual's learning rate does not improve
Origin: Fr < OFr platel, dim. < plat: see plate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. pla·teaus or pla·teaux
- An elevated, comparatively level expanse of land; a tableland.
- A relatively stable level, period, or state: Mortgage rates declined, then reached a plateau.
Origin: French, from Old French platel, platter, from plat, flat; see plate.
plateau - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.