- a stone or pillar set up to show the distance in miles to or from a specified place
- a significant or important event in history, in the career of a person, etc.
Your twenty-first birthday is a milestone in your life.
- An example of a milestone is when the court makes a sweeping change in the civil rights law.
- An example of milestone is a person's 16th birthday.
The definition of a milestone is a notable event that causes some change to occur or that marks a specific point in the development of a person or project.
- A stone marker set up on a roadside to indicate the distance in miles from a given point.
- An important event, as in a child's development, the history of a nation, or the advancement of knowledge in a field; a turning point.
(third-person singular simple present milestones, present participle milestoning, simple past and past participle milestoned)
- To place milestones along (a road, etc.).
- To plan out a project as a series of major steps.
- A milestone in a baby's life is when they learn how to walk.
- The invention of the railroad was a milestone in the history of transportation.
- Graduation is a huge milestone in a young adult's life.
- Do you remember what the milestone is to find the old country road?
- When writing her autobiography, Alice tried to highlight all of the milestones in her success.