- The definition of a breakthrough is overcoming something and having an achievement.
An example of a breakthrough is making a difficult new discovery for curing a disease.
breakthrough definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act, result, or place of breaking through against resistance, as in warfare
- a strikingly important advance or discovery
breakthrough definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction.
- A military offensive that penetrates an enemy's lines of defense.
- A major achievement or success that permits further progress, as in technology.