The definition of a breakthrough is overcoming something and having an achievement.
An example of a breakthrough is making a difficult new discovery for curing a disease.
- the act, result, or place of breaking through against resistance, as in warfare
- a strikingly important advance or discovery
- An act of overcoming or penetrating an obstacle or restriction.
- A military offensive that penetrates an enemy's lines of defense.
- A major achievement or success that permits further progress, as in technology.
- Characterized by major progress or overcoming some obstacle.
- a breakthrough technological advance