The wheel was a very important invention.
- A new type of computer is an example of an invention.
- The process of inventing a new type of computer is an example of invention.
- A story that is created or made up is an example of an invention.
The definition of an invention is something such as a device or process that has been created or made up, or the process of creating or making up something or figuring out a way to do something.
- an inventing or being invented
- the power of inventing; ingenuity or creativity
- something invented; specif.,
- something thought up or mentally fabricated; esp., a falsehood
- something originated by experiment, etc.; new device or contrivance
- Music a short composition, usually for a keyboard instrument, developing a single short motif in counterpoint; esp., any of a group of these by J. S. Bach
Origin of inventionMiddle English inuencioun from Old French invencion from Classical Latin inventio
- The act or process of inventing: used a technique of her own invention.
- A new device, method, or process developed from study and experimentation: the phonograph, an invention attributed to Thomas Edison.
- A mental fabrication, especially a falsehood.
- Skill in inventing; inventiveness: “the invention and sweep of the staging” ( John Simon )
- Music A short composition developing a single theme contrapuntally.
- A discovery; a finding.
Origin of inventionMiddle English invencioun scheme, plan from Old French invencion a finding out from Latin inventiō inventiōn- inventiveness from inventus past participle of invenīre to find ; see invent .