Origin of contraptionfrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps con(trive) + trap, noun + -tion
This homemade vehicle is a contraption.
A strange little bike that you built yourself to get you from place to place that looks as if it is going to fall apart at any minute is an example of a contraption.
Origin of contraptionPerhaps mock-Latinate blend of contrive trap 1
- This contraption had hundreds of tiny holes to allow perspiration to escape.
- Specialty seats that have a built in stool and ladder contraption.
- However, the price was still high for such a contraption at approximately $1,300 and the size was still an issue since the ovens were contained in units as big as a refrigerator.
- In the episode, Wonder Woman and the Mind Maidens, the evil Medula hypnotized Wonder Woman and her friend Jayna with a will booster contraption, the premise was that the will booster would help women rule the world unopposed.
- The first contraption that ever toasted bread was manufactured by a company in Britain called Crompton and Company by a man named Rookes Crompton.