- The definition of a widget is a general term for a small gadget or device.
An example of a widget is a usb connector for a laser mouse.
widget definition by Webster's New World
Origin: altered ; from gadget
widget definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small mechanical device or control; a gadget.
- An unnamed or hypothetical manufactured article.
- a. An element of a GUI, such as a text box or button, that displays information or settings that can be entered or altered by the user.b. A program that performs some simple function, such as providing a weather report or stock quote, and can be accessed from a computer desktop, webpage, mobile phone or subscription television service.
Origin: Perhaps alteration of gadget.
widget - Business Definition
widget - Computer Definition
(1) An icon-based user interface such as found on smartphones and tablets. See widget-based interface.
(2) Elements in a graphical user interface (GUI). See widget set.
(3) A mini app that displays a small amount of information on screen at all times and interacts with the user. Search box, clock, weather, calculator and stock market widgets are typical examples. The widget may be waiting for input from the user, such as a search box, or be "live" and actively display changes like the weather and stock market. In the Windows world, a widget is a gadget. See widget-based interface. Widgets Forever For decades, a widget has been a popular English word for a placeholder name when the actual object is not known or not important, and it may be used with other fictitious names, such as "10 widgets and 5 frabbits."
widget - Investment & Finance Definition
A generic, often theoretical, item, synonymous with product. The term often is used in hypothetical business examples, for example, “Say a company makes widgets.”