- The definition of contrivance is the thing that causes something to happen.
An example of contrivance is the ability of a tornado to destroy buildings.
contrivance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act, way, or power of contriving
- something contrived, as an invention, mechanical device, or ingenious plan
contrivance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of contriving.b. The state of being contrived.
- Something contrived, as a mechanical device or a clever plan.