- The definition of contrived is something that seems made-up or forced, or that doesn't ring true.
When a plot of a movie or book is far-fetched and doesn't ring true, this is an example of a plot that would be described as contrived.
- simple past tense and past participle of contrive
Variant of contrive
transitive verbcontrived, contriving
- to think up; devise; scheme; plan: to contrive a way to help
- to construct skillfully or ingeniously; fabricate
- to bring about, as by a scheme; manage: he contrived to get in
- to scheme for evil purposes
Origin of contriveMiddle English contreven ; from Old French controver, to find out, contrive, imagine ; from Vulgar Latin contropare, to compare ; from com, com- + tropus, trope