- The definition of an appliance is a piece of machinery that is used to perform a task.
Some examples of appliances include coffee makers, washing machines, and refrigerators.
The washing machine is a household appliance.
- Rare the act of applying; application
- a device or machine for performing a specific task, esp. one that is worked mechanically or by electricity: stoves, irons, etc. are household appliances
- A device or instrument designed to perform a specific function, especially an electrical device, such as a toaster, for household use: a store that sells the newest kitchen appliances.
- A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.
Origin of applianceFrom apply.
- The act of applying; application.
- An implement, an instrument or apparatus designed (at least used) as a means to a specific end (often specified).
- Specifically: A non-manual apparatus or device, powered electrically or by another small motor, used in homes to perform domestic functions (household appliance) and/or in offices.
- An attachment, some equipment (- piece) to adapt another tool or machine to such specific purpose
- When the boy hid father's feared cane, his bum soon found out the hard way how many sturdy appliances at home can double as perfectly painful spanking appliance