- The definition of an appliance is a piece of machinery that is used to perform a task.
Some examples of appliances include coffee makers, washing machines, and refrigerators.
The washing machine is a household appliance.
- Rare the act of applying; application
- a device or machine for performing a specific task, esp. one that is worked mechanically or by electricity: stoves, irons, etc. are household appliances
- A device or instrument designed to perform a specific function, especially an electrical device, such as a toaster, for household use: a store that sells the newest kitchen appliances.
- A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.
Origin of applianceFrom apply.
- The act of applying; application.
- An implement, an instrument or apparatus designed (at least used) as a means to a specific end (often specified).
- Specifically: A non-manual apparatus or device, powered electrically or by another small motor, used in homes to perform domestic functions (household appliance) and/or in offices.
- An attachment, some equipment (- piece) to adapt another tool or machine to such specific purpose
- When the boy hid father's feared cane, his bum soon found out the hard way how many sturdy appliances at home can double as perfectly painful spanking appliance
Recorded since the 1560s. From the English apply + -ance.