- The definition of an appliance is a piece of machinery that is used to perform a task.
Some examples of appliances include coffee makers, washing machines, and refrigerators.
The washing machine is a household appliance.
appliance definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Rare the act of applying; application
- a device or machine for performing a specific task, esp. one that is worked mechanically or by electricity: stoves, irons, etc. are household appliances
appliance definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A device or instrument designed to perform a specific function, especially an electrical device, such as a toaster, for household use. See Synonyms at tool.
- A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.
Origin: From apply.
appliance - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop EncyclopediaTHIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLYAll other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
appliance - Medical Definition
A dental or surgical device designed to perform a therapeutic or corrective function.