- The definition of implement is a tool that is used to perform a job.
A plow is an example of a farm implement.
- To implement is defined as to put something into effect.
An example of implement is a manager enforcing a new set of procedures.
A plow is a farm implement.
implement definition by Webster's New World
- any article or device used or needed in a given activity; tool, instrument, utensil, etc.
- any thing or person used as a means to some end
Origin: Middle English ; from Late Latin implementum, a filling up ; from Classical Latin implere, to fill up ; from in-, in plush plere, to fill: see full
- to carry into effect; fulfill; accomplish
- to provide the means for the carrying out of; give practical effect to
- to provide with implements
implement definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A tool or instrument used in doing work: a gardening implement. See Synonyms at tool.
- An article used to outfit or equip.
- A means of achieving an end; an instrument or agent.
- To put into practical effect; carry out: implement the new procedures.
- To supply with implements.
Origin: Middle English, supplementary payment, from Old French emplement, act of filling, from Late Latin implēmentum, from Latin implēre, to fill up : in-, intensive pref.; see in-2 + plēre, to fill; see pelə-1 in Indo-European roots.
- imˌple·men·taˈtion noun
- imˈple·mentˌer, imˈple·menˌtor noun