Origin of applicableMedieval Latin applicabilis: see apply and -able
The definition of applicable is something that is appropriate or relevant.
An example of something that is applicable to everyone is the speed limit.
Capable of being applied; relevant or appropriate: a rule not applicable in all cases; added the applicable sales tax.
(comparative more applicable, superlative most applicable)
From Old French applicable, from Medieval Latin applicabilis.
- It only remains here to refer to those applicable to leases to farm.
- A much easier method, applicable to glass originals, is that of photographic reproduction by contact printing.
- These figures are, with a fractional increase in the Regular Army, applicable to-day.
- (in the Bible only in titles of psalms), which is applicable to any piece designed to be sung to a musical accompaniment.
- The resistance to motion round a curve has not been so systematically studied that any definite rule can be formulated applicable to all classes of rolling stock and all radii of curves.