- An example of something proportional is a woman's tiny feet to her short stature.
- An example of something proportional is the amount of pay a worker gets for the hours that they put in.
The definition of proportional is something that has a relatively correct relationship of size or that is appropriate.
- of or determined by proportion; relative
- having, or being in, proportion: pay proportional to work done
- Math. having the same or a constant ratio
Origin of proportionalMiddle English proporcional ; from Classical Latin proportionalis
a quantity in a mathematical proportion
- Forming a relationship with other parts or quantities; being in proportion.
- Properly related in size, degree, or other measurable characteristics; corresponding: Punishment ought to be proportional to the crime.
- Mathematics Having the same or a constant ratio.
One of the quantities in a mathematical proportion.
(comparative more proportional, superlative most proportional)
- directly proportional
- inversely proportional