An example of a proponent is a person lobbying for gun reform.
- a person who makes a proposal or proposition
- a person who espouses or supports a cause, etc.
- Law one who propounds something, esp. a will for probate
Origin of proponent; from Classical Latin proponens, present participle of proponere, to set forth: see propose
Origin of proponentLatin pr&omacron;p&omacron;n&emacron;ns, pr&omacron;p&omacron;nent-, present participle of pr&omacron;p&omacron;nere, to set forth; see propose.
- Making proposals; proposing.
- From Latin proponens, present participle of prÅpÅnere (“to put forward; propose")
proponent - Legal Definition