The definition of a proponent is someone who is in favor of something or who advocates for a cause.
An example of a proponent is a person lobbying for gun reform.
- a person who makes a proposal or proposition
- a person who espouses or supports a cause, etc.
- Law one who propounds something, esp. a will for probate
Origin of proponent; from Classical Latin proponens, present participle of proponere, to set forth: see propose
One who argues in support of something; an advocate.
Origin of proponentLatin prōpōnēns, prōpōnent-, present participle of prōpōnere, to set forth; see propose.
- Making proposals; proposing.
- From Latin proponens, present participle of prÅpÅnere (“to put forward; propose")
proponent - Legal Definition
Party advancing a cause or position.