- Propose is defined as to suggest or recommend or to ask for someone's hand in marriage.
- An example of to propose is to suggest a new budget for a school.
- An example of to propose is for a man to ask a woman to marry him.
- to put forth for consideration or acceptance
- to purpose, plan, or intend
- to present as a toast in drinking
- to nominate (someone) for membership, office, etc.
Origin: L Middle English from Old French proposer, altered (infl. by poser: see pose) from Classical Latin proponere (pp. propositus), to set forth, display, propose: see pro- and amp; position
- to make a proposal; form or declare a purpose or design
- to offer marriage
- proposer noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb pro·posed, pro·pos·ing, pro·pos·es verb, transitive
- To put forward for consideration, discussion, or adoption; suggest: propose a change in the law.
- To recommend (a person) for a position, office, or membership; nominate.
- To offer (a toast to be drunk).
- To make known as one's intention; purpose or intend: proposed to buy and run a farm.
Origin: Middle English proposen, from Old French proposer, alteration (influenced by poser, to put, place) of Latin prōpōnere : prō-, forth; see pro-1 + pōnere, to put; see apo- in Indo-European roots.
- pro·posˈer noun