- The definition of an enemy is a person or country who is your opponent, or someone or something that is actively against something.
- Someone who is hostile to you and who you really do not like is an example of someone who would be described as your enemy.
- A person who opposes all legislation protecting animals is an example of someone who might be described as an enemy of animal rights.
- A country who has declared war on the U.S. is an example of an enemy of the U.S.
Are these two girls enemies?
- a person who hates another, and wishes or tries to injure him; foe
- a nation or force hostile to another; military or wartime adversary
- troops, fleet, ship, member, etc. of a hostile nation
- a person hostile to an idea, cause, etc.
- anything injurious or harmful
Origin of enemyMiddle English and amp; Old French enemi ; from Classical Latin inimicus, unfriendly, enemy ; from in-, not + amicus, friend: see amiable
- Obsolete hostile
- of an enemy; of a hostile nation
- a. One who feels hatred toward, intends injury to, or opposes another; a foe.b. One who opposes or is hostile to an idea or cause: an enemy of democracy.c. Something destructive or injurious in its effects: “Art hath an enemy called Ignorance” (Ben Jonson).
- a. A hostile power or force, such as a nation.b. A member or unit of such a force.
- A group of foes or hostile forces. See Usage Note at collective noun.
Of, relating to, or being a hostile power or force.
Origin of enemyMiddle English enemi, from Old French, from Latin inimīcus : in-, not; see in–1 + amīcus, friend.
- Someone who is hostile to, feels hatred towards, opposes the interests of, or intends injury to someone else.
- He made a lot of enemies after reducing the working hours in his department.
- Crush the enemy!
- A hostile force or nation; a fighting member of such a force or nation.
- rally together against a common enemy.
- An alliance of such forces.
- Something harmful or threatening to another
(comparative more enemy, superlative most enemy)
- of, relating to, or belonging to an enemy