- The definition of hostile is defined as aggressive, angry or unfriendly.
An example of hostile is walking up to a stranger on the street and screaming in their ear for no reason; a hostile act.
A hostile driver.
hostile definition by Webster's New World
- of or characteristic of an enemy; warlike
- having or showing ill will; unfriendly; antagonistic
- not hospitable or compatible; adverse
- Finance of or relating to the acquisition of a corporation against the wishes of its management: a hostile takeover
Origin: Classical Latin hostilis ; from hostis, enemy: see hospice
- hostilely adverb
hostile definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of an enemy: hostile forces; hostile acts.
- Feeling or showing enmity or ill will; antagonistic: a hostile remark.
- Unfavorable to health or well-being; inhospitable or adverse: a hostile climate.
- An antagonistic person or thing.
- An enemy in warfare.
Origin: Latin hostīlis, from hostis, enemy; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots.
- hosˈtile·ly adverb