- The definition of hostility is an unfriendly or warlike feeling.
- An example of hostility is a high school bully locking a classmate in their locker.
- An example of hostility is a bomb exploding in a crowded marketplace.
- a feeling of enmity, ill will, unfriendliness, etc.; antagonism
- an expression of enmity and ill will; hostile act
- open acts of war; warfare
Origin: Fr hostilité from Late Latin hostilitas from Classical Latin hostilis, hostile
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. hos·til·i·ties
- The state of being hostile; antagonism or enmity. See Synonyms at enmity.
- a. A hostile act.b. hostilities Acts of war; overt warfare.