- The definition of acerbic is a tart or bitter taste.
An example of something that is acerbic is a lime.
- Acerbic is defined as language or actions which are hostile or sharp.
An example of being acerbic is when someone's tone of voice is harsh.
A lime is acerbic.
- sour in taste
- sharp, bitter, or harsh in temper, language, etc.
Origin of acerbicFrench acerbe ; from Classical Latin acerbus: see acerbity
- Sour or bitter tasting; acid. See Synonyms at bitter, sour.
- Sharp or biting, as in character or expression: “At times, the playwright allows an acerbic tone to pierce through otherwise arid or flowery prose” (Alvin Klein).
Origin of acerbicFrom Latin acerbus; see ak- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more acerbic, superlative most acerbic)
Attested since the 17th century, from Latin acerbus (“sour, bitter”).