- The definition of astringent refers to a material that will cause body tissues to shrink, and helps to control bleeding and secretions.
A cosmetic that will clean your skin and close your pores is an example of an astringent.
- that contracts body tissue and checks secretions, capillary bleeding, etc.; styptic
- having a harsh, biting quality: an astringent style of writing
Origin of astringentClassical Latin astringens, present participle of stringere, to contract ; from ad-, to + stringere, draw tight: see strict
- Medicine Tending to draw together or constrict tissues; styptic.
- Sharp and penetrating; pungent or severe: astringent remarks.
Origin of astringentLatin astringēns, astringent-, present participle of astringere, to bind fast : ad-, ad- + stringere, to bind; see streig- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more astringent, superlative most astringent)