Sharp, pointed and clearly stated objections are an example of something that would be described as trenchant comments.
- Archaic cutting; sharp
- keen; penetrating; incisive: trenchant words
- forceful; vigorous; effective: a trenchant argument
- clear-cut; distinct: a trenchant pattern
Origin of trenchantMiddle English from OFr, present participle of trenchier: see trench
- Forceful and clear; penetrating: a trenchant argument.
- Caustic; cutting: a trenchant wit.
- Distinct; clear-cut: “The times were felt to require … trenchant distinctions between good and bad, right and wrong” ( David Simpson )
Origin of trenchantMiddle English from Old French cutting from present participle of trenchier to cut ; see trench .
(comparative more trenchant, superlative most trenchant)
From Old French, from the present participle of trenchier, "to cut."