- The definition of impotent is someone or something weak, ineffective or lacking power.
An example of impotent is using a steak knife to cut down a tree.
- Impotent is defined as to be unable to have sexual intercourse.
An example of impotent is a man who is unable to sustain an erection.
- lacking physical strength; weak
- ineffective, powerless, or helpless: impotent rage
- unable to engage in sexual intercourse, esp. because of an inability to have or sustain an erection
- Obsolete having no self-control
Origin: OFr from Classical Latin impotens: see in- and amp; potent
- impotently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lacking physical strength or vigor; weak.
- Lacking in power, as to act effectively; helpless: “Technology without morality is barbarous; morality without technology is impotent” (Freeman J. Dyson).
- a. Incapable of sexual intercourse, often because of an inability to achieve or sustain an erection.b. Sterile. Used of males.
- Obsolete Lacking self-restraint.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin impotēns, impotent- : in-, not; see in-1 + potēns, potent; see potent.
- imˈpo·tent·ly adverb
impotent - Medical Definition
- Incapable of sexual intercourse, often because of an inability to achieve or sustain an erection.
- Sterile. Used of males.