- not fertile; not productive; barren
- not fertilized: said of an egg
Origin of infertileMiddle French ; from Classical Latin infertilis
- Not fertile; unproductive or barren.
- Biology a. Not capable of initiating, sustaining, or supporting reproduction.b. Not fertilized and hence incapable of growing and developing: infertile duck eggs.
- Not capable of sustaining crops or vegetation: infertile land.
- Unproductive or producing little: a path of research that proved infertile.
(comparative more infertile, superlative most infertile)
- not fertile
From Middle French infertile, from Late Latin infertilis