- without results; unprofitable; unsuccessful; vain
- bearing no fruit; sterile; barren
Origin of fruitlessMiddle English fruitles
- Producing no fruit: a withered, fruitless lemon tree.
- Not leading to success; unproductive: a fruitless search. See Synonyms at futile.
(comparative more fruitless, superlative most fruitless)
- Useless; unproductive.
- The unskilled man's attempt at fixing his car engine was fruitless.
- Bearing no fruit; barren.
- The fruitless woman desperately wanted to have children.
- (rare) Without fruit.
fruit + -less