- The definition of effective is something that is able to achieve a desired outcome or end result.
An example of effective is a good solid argument that lets you convince others of your point.
- having an effect; producing a result
- producing a definite or desired result; efficient
- in effect; operative; active
- actual, not merely potential or theoretical
- making a striking impression; impressive
- equipped and ready for combat
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French effectif ; from Classical Latin effectivus
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Having an intended or expected effect.b. Producing a strong impression or response; striking: gave an effective performance as Othello.
- Operative; in effect: The law is effective immediately.
- Existing in fact; actual: a decline in the effective demand.
- Prepared for use or action, especially in warfare.
- ef·fecˈtive·ness, efˌfec·tivˈi·ty noun