- operating, or producing an effect or effects
- designating behavior defined by the resulting stimulus rather than the stimulus which elicits it
- designating conditioning in which the desired response, when it occurs, is reinforced by a stimulus
Origin of operantfrom Classical Latin operans, present participle of operari: see operate
a person or thing that operates
- Operating to produce effects; effective.
- Psychology Of, relating to, or being a response that occurs spontaneously and is identified by its reinforcing or inhibiting effects.
- One that operates.
- Psychology An element of operant behavior.
Origin of operantLatin operāns operant- present participle of operārī to work ; see operate .