- The definition of effectual is someone or something that is doing what it was intended to do, or has legal force.
- An example of something effectual is a bet about losing weight causing someone to stick to a diet.
- An example of something effectual is a binding lease that keeps someone from being evicted.
- producing, or able to produce, the desired effect
- having legal force; valid
Origin of effectualMiddle English ; from Old French effectuel ; from Medieval Latin effectualis
Producing or sufficient to produce a desired effect. See Synonyms at effective.
Origin of effectualMiddle English effectuel, from Old French, from Late Latin effectuālis, from Latin effectus, result, effect; see effect.
(comparative more effectual, superlative most effectual)