- The definition of effectual is someone or something that is doing what it was intended to do, or has legal force.
- An example of something effectual is a bet about losing weight causing someone to stick to a diet.
- An example of something effectual is a binding lease that keeps someone from being evicted.
effectual definition by Webster's New World
- producing, or able to produce, the desired effect
- having legal force; valid
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French effectuel ; from Midieval Latin effectualis
- effectuality noun
effectual definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: Middle English effectuel, from Old French, from Late Latin effectuālis, from Latin effectus, result, effect; see effect.
- ef·fecˌtu·alˈi·ty , ef·fecˈtu·al·ness noun
- ef·fecˈtu·al·ly adverb