The definition of effectual is someone or something that is doing what it was intended to do, or has legal force.adjective
- An example of something effectual is a bet about losing weight causing someone to stick to a diet.
- An example of something effectual is a binding lease that keeps someone from being evicted.
- producing, or able to produce, the desired effect
- having legal force; valid
Origin: ME < OFr effectuel < ML effectualis
- effectuality noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Middle English effectuel, from Old French, from Late Latin effectuālis, from Latin effectus, result, effect; see effect.
- ef·fecˌtu·alˈi·ty , ef·fecˈtu·al·ness noun
- ef·fecˈtu·al·ly adverb