- The definition of competent is a person or thing that is qualified to do something or adequate for a specific purpose.
- An accountant with ten years of experience is an example of a competent accountant.
- A paring knife that has cut up all the salad vegetables is an example of a competent performance.
competent definition by Webster's New World
- well qualified; capable; fit: a competent doctor
- sufficient; adequate: a competent understanding of law
- permissible or properly belonging: with to
- Law legally qualified, authorized, or fit
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin competens, present participle of competere: see compete
- competently adverb
competent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Properly or sufficiently qualified; capable: a competent typist.
- Adequate for the purpose: a competent performance.
- Law Legally qualified or fit to perform an act.
Origin: Middle English, adequate, from Old French, from Latin competēns, competent-, present participle of competere, to be suitable; see compete.
- comˈpe·tent·ly adverb
competent - Legal Definition
competent - Medical Definition
- Properly or sufficiently qualified; capable.
- Capable of performing an allotted or required function.
- Legally qualified or fit to perform an act.
- Able to distinguish right from wrong and to manage one's affairs.